The Skinny on the Cake Competition.



As most of you know, last Saturday was my first cake decorating competition. The theme for the competition was fall and harvest, so I set out the door with my fall inspired cake and my plaid button down shirt to top it off. Let me start by saying that I didn't win first place in my division, but honestly, I'm not at all upset about it. Some of the other cakes that were presented on Saturday were nothing short of jaw-dropping.
After my cake was all set up, I did numerous laps around the table looking at other cakes and wondered how some of these creations were even possible. I still don't know how the three tier pumpkin cake didn't fall over onto its creator, or how the car cake that was constructed completely out of cake, had so much detail that it would even leave car enthusiasts scratching their heads. When a group of people would come to look and my cake an intense rush of excitement would take over me. I couldn't help but think that this is what my boxer, Ruby, must feel like when we get visitors. If people took out their cameras to take pictures- forget it. My excitement went through the roof and I had trouble containing myself.
I left the competition relieved, and amazed at how much talent there is around this area. Although I didn't win first place, numerous lessons were learned and I was ultimately satisfied that I completed what I had set out to accomplish several weeks before.





...



Putting some final touches on my cake.





The car cake that won in my division, aaamazing.





Pumpkin cake, not done by me. 








4 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME KER! I'm so proud of you and cannot wait to think of the first event that I need a cake for! : ) Love you, Lindsay Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Kerri! So proud of you for entering and doing such a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - New reader here, I followed a link from Scarlet Buffalo.

    Congrats on participating in the contest. I've always wanted to be able to bake and decorate like this. Looks like fun! I'm sure it's a heck of a lot of work too though. I love the leaves and the layering (? not sure if it's layered or just a neat bakers trick) of the green in the second photo...adds some depth to the rolling hills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so stinkin cute and i love your cake!
    -Cali

    ReplyDelete